Facebook Twitter Google Plus LinkedIn

What To Put On Your Business Card If You’re Still A Student

By Rachel L. West
Advocacy & Community Outreach Consultant 

You can order a recording of the Job Search for a Macro Social Worker webinar here.

When coaching students and recent graduates about networking I always tell them to invest in decent business cards. Most people only think about business cards as something that is given to them by an employer after landing a job. Regardless of your employment status you should have business cards made up. Even if you are employed at the moment you may want to consider ordering “personal” business card’s for when you are networking on your own time.

Students will often ask “what do I put on the card after my name?” Because most people associate business cards with their current place of employment they are often confused about what to put in the job title sections.

Let’s go over a few options. First I want to note that if you are in your final semester or about to sit for the licensing exam, you may want to order the smallest number or cards available. Once you receive your degree or license you can then order new cards with your new credential.

Option #1

(Your name)
MSW (or BSW) candidate
(Contact info)

This is straightforward. It clearly tells people that you are about to graduate with a social work degree.

Option #2

(Your name)
Aspiring ______________
(Contact info)

This one is a little catchier and can give your new contact a better understanding of what you’re looking to do career wise.

So, for example, if your goal is be a lobbyist then you would put “Aspiring lobbyist.” I like this one a lot because it is specific about the type of work you’re looking to do. You need to remember that social work is a broad degree and it means different things to different people. I also think it is a bit more interesting than the first option.

Option #3

(Your name)
(Contact info)

All social workers are advocates regardless of whether they are pursing micro or macro practice. You don’t have to have a degree or certification to be an advocate so you’re not going to get in trouble for using it even if you have not graduated.

Option #4

(Your name)
Change Agent
(Contact info)

Some of you may be rolling your eyes after reading this one. Others may have just jumped up and started pumping your fist in the air while yelling “Yes, Yes. This!” Social workers, again regardless of the type of practice they are doing, are supposed to create positive change. I understand that this might not be everyone’s cup of tea, but that’s why I gave you three other options.

To schedule an appointment for coaching or training call me at (631) 615-1709. You can also reach me by email at rlwestconsulting@gmail.com.

Posted by Rachel L. West

In addition to being the founder of The Political Social Worker blog, I am a consultant. My consulting practice offers advocacy and community outreach solutions to nonprofits, social good organizations, and private practitioners. Additionally, I offer career coaching to macro social work students and professionals.

One comment

  1. Rachel L. West, I would like to say thanks for your shared information on Business card, its really very important when the students will be in final year,


What are your thoughts?

%d bloggers like this: