The Return of #MacroSW Twitter Chats
By Rachel L. West
Advocacy & Community Outreach Consultant
#MacroSW Twitter Chats returns September 7th. We’re starting this season off with a chat on how to be a media savvy social worker. Our host will be Alyssa Lotmore, LMSW (@AlyssaLotmore).
Alyssa is employed at the University at Albany’s School of Social Welfare, where she earned her BSW and MSW degrees. In addition to her main role working with alumni, she has been co-hosting The Social Workers Radio Talk Show on the University’s FM radio station (WCBD 90.9 FM) since 2013. Alyssa created and instructs the course Media Savvy Social Work, which allows students hands-on practice in using the medium of radio for advocacy. She has given multiple presentations on the topic, including at the National Association of Social Workers National Conference in Washington, DC. Through all of her projects, her focus is on seeing the public as client, and using different forms of media to reach individuals who may never has considered seeing or using a social worker. As social work professionals, she believes that we need to be media savvy in sharing our expertise and raising awareness about issues that we care about.
You can read the full chat announcment here on the #MacroSW blog. The chat starts a 9:00 Pm EST/ 6:00 PM PST.
#MacroSW is a collaboration of social workers, organizations, social work schools, and individuals working to promote macro social work practice. Macro social work practice focuses on changing larger systems, such as communities and organizations. It encompasses a broad spectrum of actions and ideas, ranging from community organizing and education to legislative advocacy and policy analysis.
- Association for Community Organization and Social Administration (ACOSA), @acosaorg
- Kristin Battista-Frazee, MSW, Author and Marketing Consultant, @porndaughter
- Laurel Hitchcock, PhD, Assistant Professor of Social Work, University of Alabama at Birmingham, @laurelhitchcock
- Stephen Cummings, ACSW, LISW, Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Iowa School of Social Work, @spcummings
- Pat Shelly, MSW, Director of Community Engagement and Expansion, University at Buffalo School of Social Work, @ubssw and @PatShellySSW
- Rachel L. West, LMSW, The Political Social Worker, @poliSW
- Sunya Folayan, MSW, ACSW, founder/executive director, The Empowerment Project, Inc., @SunyaFolayan
- Vilissa Thompson, LMSW, Founder of @RampYourVoice, Disability Rights Consultant and Advocate, Macro Social Worker @VilissaThompson Blog: http://rampyourvoice.com/
- Karen Zgoda, MSW, LCSW, PhD student in Public Policy at the University of Massachusetts Boston, @karenzgoda
- Linda Grobman and The New Social Worker Magazine – We welcome The New Social Worker Magazine (@newsocialworker) as our new media partner! The New Social Worker is the award-winning social work careers magazine founded by Linda Grobman in 1994. Website www.socialworker.com . This online magazine features practical articles on social work, ethics, field placement, practice issues and specialties, technology in social work and more.