State of the Union 2015
By Rachel L. West
Advocacy & Community Outreach Consultant
State of the Union 2015
The State of the Union address will be delivered by President Obama tonight. I will be live tweeting the event starting at 8:00 PM EST. If you want to join in use the hashtags #SOTU2015 and #MacroSW. My Twitter handle is @poliSW.
Big Block of Cheese Day
On Wednesday January 21st members of the Obama administration will take to social media to answer your questions about the State of the Union and to find out what issues matter to you.
This is the second year that the Obama White House has held the virtual Big Block of Cheese day. The event is homage to President Andrew Jackson who once had a 1,400 pound block of cheddar brought to the White House for an open house. You can learn more about the event here.
To participate in the event use the hashtag #AskTheWH any time throughout Wednesday on Facebook, Twitter, Tumblr, or Instagram. Throughout the day varies members of the administration will be live tweeting. Those of particular importance to social workers are listed below:
9:15 a.m. ET: Housing in America
- In a live-streamed event hosted by Zillow, HUD Secretary Castro will answer questions from social media community using #HousinginAmerica. Learn more and watch live.
10:00 a.m. – 11:00 a.m. ET: General Overview and State of the Union Themes
- Director of the Office of Public Engagement Paulette Aniskoff – @PAniskoff44
- Principal Deputy White House Press Secretary – @Schultz44
- Associate Communications Director Stephanie Young – @Stephanie44
- Deputy Communications Director Amy Brundage – @Brundage44
11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. ET: Education, Immigration, and Latino Issues
- Dr. Jill Biden – @DrBiden
- Director of the Domestic Policy Council Cecilia Muñoz – @Cecilia44
- Executive Director of Reach Higher Eric Waldo – @ReachHigher
- Director of Hispanic Media Katherine Vargas – @Vargas44
- Deputy Director of Hispanic Media Antoinette Rangel – @LaCasaBlanca
- Department of Education – @USEdGov
2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. ET: Economic opportunity, infrastructure, minimum wage, and women’s economic agenda
- Member of the Council of Economic Advisers Betsey Stevenson – @CEABetsey
- Deputy Director of the Office of Management and Budget – @DeeseOMB
- Secretary of Labor Tom Perez – @LaborSec
- Department of Labor – @USDOL
- Department of Transportation – @USDOT
- Counselor to the President John Podesta – @Podesta44 (climate)
5:00 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Health Care
- Assistant Press Secretary Jessica Santillo – @Santillo44
- Department of Health and Human Services – @HHSGov