Social Workers: Get Out the Vote
By Rachel L. West, LMSW
Advocacy & Community Outreach Consultant
I will be moderating this Thursday’s #MacroSW Twitter Chat. Below is an excerpt from the announcement. The chat Starts at 9:00 PM EDT / 6:00 PM PDT.
With the general election just seven months I thought it would be a good idea to explore the role social workers can play in voter outreach.
The NASW Code of Ethics states that:
Social workers should facilitate informed participation by the public in shaping social policies and institutions.
#MacroSW is a collaboration of social workers, organizations, social work schools, and individuals working to promote macro social work practice. Macro social work practice focuses on changing larger systems, such as communities and organizations. It encompasses a broad spectrum of actions and ideas, ranging from community organizing and education to legislative advocacy and policy analysis.
Current Chat Partners:
- Association for Community Organization and Social Administration (ACOSA), @acosaorg
- Jeff Fromknecht, MSW, Attorney & Counselor at Law at Side Project Inc., @SideProjectInc
- Karen Zgoda, MSW, LCSW, Instructor of Social Work at Bridgewater State University, @karenzgoda
- Kristin Battista-Frazee, MSW, Author and Marketing Consultant,@porndaughter
- Laurel Hitchcock, PhD, Assistant Professor of Social Work, University of Alabama at Birmingham, @laurelhitchcock
- Pat Shelly, Director of Community Engagement and Expansion, University at Buffalo School of Social Work, @ubssw and@PatShellySSW
- Rachel L. West, LMSW, The Political Social Worker, @poliSW
- Relando Thompkins-Jones, MSW, LLMSW, writer of Notes from an Aspiring Humanitarian (N.A.H.) @Relando_T and @N_A_H_Blog
- Sunya Folayan, MSW, ACSW, founder/executive director, The Empowerment Project, Inc., @SunyaFolayan
Current Media Partners:
- Linda Grobman and The New Social Worker Magazine – We welcome The New Social Worker Magazine (@newsocialworker) as our new media partner! The New Social Worker is the award-winning social work careers magazine founded by Linda Grobman in 1994. Its website is www.socialworker.com and is featuring student and social worker creative works throughout March for Social Work Month
Founding Chat Partners:
- Deona Hooper, Editor in Chief and Founder of Social Work Helper (@swhelpercom), @deonahooper
- University of Southern California School of Social Work, @mswatusc
- Network for Social Work Management (NSWM), @TheNSWM
Photo Credit: By USDA photo by Scott Bauer (United States Department of Agriculture) [Public domain] http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/Washington_C_D.C._Tidal_Basin_cherry_trees.jpg