2/1/18: Social Action 102
By Rachel L. West
Advocacy & Community Outreach Consultant
I will be host Social Action 102 this week for #MacroSW Twitter Chats. This is the second part of a series on social action that I will be presenting throughout 2018. Social Action 101 was held back in December. You read the transcript here.
Social Action 102 will focus on community assessment. We will explore the following questions over the course of the one hour chat:
Q1: How do you know a problem is actually a problem?
Q2: Have you ever carried out a community assessment? If so please share your experience of that process.
Q3: How do you gather information about the community?
Q4: What methods can be used to get feedback from community members?
The chat will happens Thursday, February 1st at 9:00 PM EST/ 6:00 PM PST. I’ll be hosting from my Twitter account @poliSW. Feel free to follow. While you’re at it follow the MacroSW Twitter account at @OfficalMacroSW. That way you’ll always be in the loop about upcoming chats. You can also find chat announcements and transcripts from past chats on the MacroSW blog.
#MacroSW is a collaboration of social workers, organizations, social work schools, and individuals working to promote macro social work practice. Macro social work practice focuses on changing larger systems, such as communities and organizations. It encompasses a broad spectrum of actions and ideas, ranging from community organizing and education to legislative advocacy and policy analysis.
- Association for Community Organization and Social Administration (ACOSA), @acosaorg
- Kristin Battista-Frazee, MSW, Author and Marketing Consultant, @porndaughter
- Laurel Hitchcock, PhD, Assistant Professor of Social Work, University of Alabama at Birmingham, @laurelhitchcock
- Stephen Cummings, ACSW, LISW, Clinical Assistant Professor, University of Iowa School of Social Work, @spcummings
- Pat Shelly, MSW, Director of Community Engagement and Expansion, University at Buffalo School of Social Work, @UBSSW @PatShellySSW
- Rachel L. West, LMSW, The Political Social Worker, @poliSW
- Sunya Folayan, MSW, ACSW, founder/executive director, The Empowerment Project, Inc., @SunyaFolayan
- Vilissa Thompson, LMSW, Founder of @RampYourVoice, Disability Rights Consultant and Advocate, Macro Social Worker @VilissaThompson Blog: http://rampyourvoice.com/
- Karen Zgoda, MSW, LCSW, PhD student in Public Policy at the University of Massachusetts Boston, @karenzgoda
Photo Credit: By Edward Kimmel from Takoma Park, MD (Climate March 0746 resist) [CC BY-SA 2.0 (http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0)], via Wikimedia Commons
Meme made by Rachel L. West