By Rachel L. West
Advocacy & Community Outreach Consultant
I’m hosting tonight’s #MacroSW GOTV (Get Out The Vote) Chat. The chat starts at 9:00 PM EST. I will be from my Twitter account (@poliSW). If you haven’t already, you can follow the #MacroSW official Twitter account @OffficialMacroSW.
The GOTV chat will delve into specific actions we can take to get voters to the polls on November 8th. We will also discuss long term efforts that can be taken to increase voter participation. This includes the hot button issues of campaign finance reform and electoral reform.
Q1: What GOTV efforts are you undertaking this year?
Q2: What action can be taken to reform campaign finance?
Q3: What are your ideas to positively reform the electoral process?
N.A. (N.D). FairVote. Retrieved from http://www.fairvote.org/.
N.A. (N.D). Voting Reform Agenda. Brennen Center for Justice. Retrieved from https://www.brennancenter.org/issues/voting-reform-agenda.
N.A. (N.D.) Yes on 5 More Voice. Retrieved from http://www.rcvmaine.com/faq.
Theroux, K. (2008). Strengthening U.S. Democracy Through Campaign Finance Reform. Carnegie Corporation of New York. Retrieved from https://www.carnegie.org/media/filer_public/4b/5e/4b5e1520-7c54-40e3-92da-99eb2b528552/ccny_creview_2008_reform.pdf.
#MacroSW Chats is a collaboration of social workers, organizations, social work schools, and individuals working to promote macro social work practice. Macro social work practice focuses on changing larger systems, such as communities and organizations. It encompasses a broad spectrum of actions and ideas, ranging from community organizing and education to legislative advocacy and policy analysis.
Current Chat Partners:
- Association for Community Organization and Social Administration (ACOSA), @acosaorg
- Jeff Fromknecht, MSW, Attorney & Counselor at Law at Side Project Inc., @SideProjectInc
- Karen Zgoda, MSW, LCSW, Instructor of Social Work at Bridgewater State University, @karenzgoda
- Kristin Battista-Frazee, MSW, Author and Marketing Consultant, @porndaughter
- Laurel Hitchcock, PhD, Assistant Professor of Social Work, University of Alabama at Birmingham, @laurelhitchcock
- Pat Shelly, MSW, Director of Community Engagement and Expansion, University at Buffalo School of Social Work, @ubssw and@PatShellySSW
- Rachel L. West, LMSW, The Political Social Worker, @poliSW
- Relando Thompkins-Jones, MSW, LLMSW, writer of Notes from an Aspiring Humanitarian (N.A.H.) @Relando_T and @N_A_H_Blog
- Sunya Folayan, MSW, ACSW, founder/executive director, The Empowerment Project, Inc., @SunyaFolayan
- Vilissa Thompson, LMSW, Founder of @RampYourVoice, Disability Rights Consultant and Advocate, Macro Social Worker @VilissaThompson Blog: http://rampyourvoice.com/
Current Media Partners:
- Linda Grobman and The New Social Worker Magazine – We welcome The New Social Worker Magazine (@newsocialworker) as our new media partner! The New Social Worker is the award-winning social work careers magazine founded by Linda Grobman in 1994. Website www.socialworker.com . This online magazine features practical articles on social work, ethics, field placement, practice issues and specialties, technology in social work and more.