By Rachel L. West
Forward RISE is a new Nonprofit located in Bay Shore, New York committed to breaking down barriers that keep people with disabilities segregated from the larger community. The organizations core values are:
- A positive embracing, not just acceptance, of people with disabilities improves the lives not only of those who have disabilities, but of all who come into contact with them.
- Education and inclusive social settings are important for a thriving community.
- Everyone should have access to public places and social activities regardless of a disability.
- Accepting and embracing differences is a good thing for any community.
- Equality for all, ALWAYS!
Melissa Dinas and Anthony Garcia founded the organization. For Melissa the cause is a very personal one.
For me, I’ve seen the inequality people with disabilities have to deal with first hand in caring for my daughter who has cerebral palsy and uses a wheelchair. My passion for advocating comes from there. Anthony and I both have a deep sense of community and passion for protecting the civil and social rights all Americans are entitled to, whether or not they have a disability.
Forward RISE officially opened it’s doors in March of this year. They are already working on several projects including a fundraiser on May 17th. You will find the flyer embedded below.
The organization is looking to provide educational workshops geared not only to those living with a disability but also towards parents, friends, and the community at large. They will also host inclusive community events. You can sign up for their mailing list and stay up-to-date with events by visiting the Forward RISE webpage here. You can also follow them on Face Book or on LinkedIn.
If you want to help Forward RISE to grow you can contact Melissa at email@example.com.